ACL 0-6-0 Restored for Display
Atlantic Coast Line No. 143
The Railroad Museum of South Florida recently completed the cosmetic restoration of former Atlantic Coast Line 0-6-0 No.143 (above) in Lakes Regional Park in South Fort Meyers, Florida (see LINESIDE LEGACY February 1999). The work was performed by Great Atlantic Boiler Services of Jacksonville at a cost of $84,000 and was done in phases. Phase I involved refurbishing the tender, Phase II concentrated on restoring the boiler and running gear and Phase III was the fabrication of a new cab to replace the rotted-out original. The museum is still searching for a bell, whistle, headlight and dynamo. Replicas of the original 1905 Baldwin builder's plates will be cast and affixed to the smokebox. Plans call for a shelter to be built over No. 143 as soon as funds are available - good news for its long-term survival. A good deal of the money for the restoration project was raised through the operation of the museum's 7 1/2" gauge miniature railroad, Train Village, which is located adjacent to No.143 in the park.
-- Thanks to Mike Mulligan
California Western No. 45
The two year overhaul of 2-8-2 No.45 was recently completed by the California Western Railroad. The engine returned to service on May 26, 2001, pulling the Skunk Train on its run between Fort Bragg and
Northspur, California. Built by Baldwin in 1924, No.45 has been a regular performer on the CW since 1965, when it was acquired from the Medford Corporation of Medford, Oregon. However, the Mikado had been out of service since 1998 when cracks were discovered in the rear flue sheet.
Gary Richards, CW's maintenance superintendent, contracted Shane Dixon and Ed Katzorke from the Virginia & Truckee Railroad to help his shop crew complete the rebuild before the 2001 season began last May. The 2-8-2 required a good deal of firebox work, two replacement flue sheets, new tubes and flues, and new driving wheel tires. The current schedule calls for No.45 to pull the Skunk Train up to five times a week during the summer, and also on select dates in September and October. For more details go to the California Western website at www.skunktrain.com.
New York Central 4-6-4 tender restored
Steamtown National Historic Site is now the proud owner of the largest existing remnant of New York Central's fleet of Hudson locomotives: the tender from J-l No.5313. It was converted into a steam boiler car many years ago by the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo, which purchased Hudsons 5313 and 5311 from NYC in the 1950s. When the TH&B dieselized, both Hudsons were retired and scrapped, but No.5313's tender was retained and outfitted with a steam generator for use on TH&B passenger runs. Modifications included blanking off the coal bunker, rounding the upper rear corners of the tank and installing a window and door for access to the interior. A decade ago, the car was acquired by the Green Mountain Railway for their tourist operation, but saw little use. Learning of the car's past, an individual donated funds to restore it and GMRC sandblasted, painted, and lettered the tender into its as-built NYC livery.