You are viewing Note 1 through 30 of 12407
|Mount Washington Cog Railway 0-2-2-0 cog No. 10 - Kroflite||Posted by: JJ on 2017-08-21 13:55:54.117|
it is now Col.Teage
|ZBH(USArmy) 0-6-0T No. 62.015(1423)||Posted by: Henry Allum on 2017-08-20 15:08:02.95|
62.015 is now plinthed at Rudstroj, Kakanj, Bosnia.
|Chesapeake & Ohio RR 2-8-0 No. 701||Posted by: Brian W. on 2017-08-19 16:12:16.59|
Went by to see engine last week, it has very nice paint job and under new pavilion with roof to keep it nice.
|Howe's Plaster Works 0-6-0ST No. 1147 "John Howe"||Posted by: Roger White on 2017-08-19 09:32:06.4|
Please note that this loco is an 0-4-0ST and not an 0-6-0ST.
|Brangsch 0-4-0T No. Unknown||Posted by: ILFORD on 2017-08-19 07:33:23.91|
Loco ex Steinbruch Halbach, now number 001.
|DR 2-8-2T No. 86.744||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-18 06:29:36.113|
Locomotive was damaged in a derailment at the Bad Essen station in 2001. Running gear damaged. Locomotive was sold to an unknown party in February of 2017
|MEM (Gerresheimer Glashütte) 0-4-0T No. Unknown||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-18 06:27:02.96|
The museum website indicates that this locomotive is parked at "Pr. Oldendorf" which is, apparently a facility of the museum
|MEM (Hibernia AG) 0-6-0T No. 4||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-18 06:23:49.18|
The museum website indicates that this locomotive is parked at "Pr. Oldendorf" which is, apparently a facility of the museum
|South Australian Railways 4-8-4 No. 523 'Essington Lewis'||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-17 14:25:43.61|
523 was in service in 1944. Sister locos 523 to 531 had a longer sharper nose than first 3 built. Compare photos of 520 & 523 to see slight difference in design. Due to a post WW2 coal shortage all were converted to burn oil.
523, when withdrawn in 1969, had travelled 552,000 miles. Shortly afterwards it went to the Mile End museum then moved to Port Adelaide. Sits at a freight dock behind the museum, normally with carriages on other side so it is rare to see the full loco and motion. Also hard to see in bright sunlight with strong shadow inside the freight building. The museum is bulging with exhibits, so it is hard to display everything perfectly.
|South Australian Railways 4-8-4 No. 520 'Sir Malcolm Barclay-Harvey'||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-17 14:18:11.79|
A class of 12 locomotives designed for fast passenger & freight trains introduced from 1943. The first three had a flatter shorter nose. The class was converted to oil burners in 1949. Locos were capable of running non-stop from Adelaide to Port Pirie. Diesels, as usual, did away with steam power members of this class just surviving into the second half of the 1960s.
520 was restored to steam in 1972. Now operated by SteamRanger, but for the last few years has sat idle in a carriage shed at Mount Barker. The engine has only recently been moved into the workshops.
SteamRanger started with a depot at Dry Creek opposite the railway station. This gave them access to the rail network. Allowing train to run almost anywhere from here. The arrival of standard gauge for nearly everything except suburban services caused the group to move to the isolated broad gauge railways at Mount Barker. They now only run trains on their own tracks, a mixture of steam & diesel loco hauled trains and diesel railcars providing a good selections of tours.
The site of their depot at Dry Creek is now a huge diesel & electric railcar maintenance depot. On the opposite side of the railway is a another large facility for maintaining diesel locomotives. This diesel depot moved here from Mile End.
|South Australian Railways 4-8-4 No. 504 "Tom Barr Smith"||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-17 14:09:50.433|
504 is one of a class of 10 locomotives entering service from 1926. Originally built as 4-8-2, after a couple years service the class was modified becoming 4-8-4 and having boosters added to the rear trailing truck. When built, they were the largest locomotives produced in the UK. They worked heavy passenger and freight trains.
504 was in service in 1926, altered to 4-8-4 in 1929 and withdrawn 1962. Having travelled 855,000 miles. In1965 moved to Mile End railway museum.
|South Australian Railways 4-8-2+2-8-4 No. 409||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-17 14:07:06.113|
409 is one of a class of 10 locomotives entering service from 1953. Introduced due to the huge increase of ore traffic from Broken Hill. They took over this heavy mineral traffic. Ordered from Beyer Peacock but built by Societe Franco Belge in France. The introduction of diesels had members of the class placed in store from 1963. With conversion of some South Australian railway lines to standard gauge many diesel were also converted to this gauge, causing a shortage of locos. In 1969 some members of the class were reinstated to run freight trains while the conversion work went on. So their final year workings were on the Cockburn to Port Pirie ore trains for which they been built.
409 was in service in 1954 and withdrawn May 1970. Same year entered Mile End railway museum. Later moved to Port Adelaide were she is well displayed.
|Great Western Railway 2-8-0T No. 5239 'Goliath'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-16 17:17:44.387|
The GWR 5205 Class 2-8-0T No. 5239 is being moved to the East Somerset Railway to be overhauled and rebuilt there for the Dartmouth Steam Railway. The loco will be moving there soon.
|South Australian Railways 4-6-2 No. 621 'Duke of Edinburgh'||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-16 14:21:03.993|
South Austrailan Railways 621 is one of a class of 10 locomotives, entering service from 1936 to meet a need for a medium size fast loco. Started working trains on the new broad gauge Adelaide to Port Pirie line.
When the class 520 took over these duties the class 620 moved to the Southern lines from Adelaide. Watching them on the climb up to Bridgwater must have been impressive. Today the metro railcars take you as far as Belair. The railway is just a constant steep climb even today with 3 powerful diesels together hauling freight up these hills they still fail.
The coming of diesel railcars was the end for these fine looking engines, slowly being withdrawn from 1961 to 1969 with times just being laid up. 621 was withdrawn in 1969. With 672,814 miles on the clock. An appeal raised A$10,000 so the railway workshops at Islington could return it to steam in 1971. For the next 7 years it ran tourist specials all over South Australia. Since then various overhauls and repairs have seen it in and out of service. It is nNow based at Mount Barker and can been seen operating trains there.
The SteamRanger website gives a good history of their locos. 621's history gives an idea of the huge amount of money needed for any major repair. One part explains the problem a cracked header caused and how local firms cast a new header. The old header was on a pallet, at the entrance to the workshops. See the loco's album photos for a shot of the broken header casting.
|South Australian Railways 4-6-2 No. 624||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-16 14:14:08.057|
South Australian Railways 624 was last in service in 1963 and had travelled over 700,000miles. In 1967 it went into the open air museum at Mile End.
With locomotives exposed to elements for over 20 years a new home was needed for the collection at Mile End. A 2 million Australian dollar grant was obtained to redevelop the port dock goods terminal at Port Adelaide. This was the original site of the Port Dock railway station which became the museum name. Later it was changed to National Railway Museum. Further grants have allowed the museum to expand their buildings.
The Mile End collection was moved here and officially opened on 10 December 1988. A museum with items from all of South Australias various railways. Films explaining history of railways and how trains kept isolated towns supplied. Inside the main building, neat rows of locomotives, carriages and wagons. Outside clusters of mainly diesel locos, railcars and wagons. Surprisingly you are allowed free access to everywhere within the boundary fence set by the 18 inch railway. The 18 inch runs hourly everyday, with steam on Sundays
|South Australian Railways 2-8-2 No. 702||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-16 14:09:02.273|
South Australian Railway 702 is one of a class of 10 locomotives, entering service from 1926, some lasted until 1968. A general purpose loco with lower axle load allowing it to work on most lines. 702 worked just short of 40 years and travelled 775,000 miles before withdrawal in 1964. Within a year was it in Mile End Museum, later to NRM at Port Adelaide.
|DB 2-10-0.3Cyl No. 44.481||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-16 12:02:56.41|
Moved to its current location from the Henschel factory in Kassel in 2011
|Pen-yr-Orsedd Quarry 0-4-0T No. 'Diana'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-15 17:59:52.33|
The Kerr Stuart & Co built 0-4-0T "Diana" will not be returning to the Bala Lake Railway as it has now moved away. The loco is currently based at the Amerton Railway in Staffordshire for the time being.
|Parkgate Iron & Steel Co 0-6-0ST No. 14 'Charwelton'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-15 17:50:23.907|
The Former Parkgate Iron & Steel Co Manning Wardle built 0-6-0ST No. 14 "Charwelton" has been withdrawn from service following a leaking firebox. The loco has been placed in storage at Rolvenden loco sheds till repairs can be carried out.
|London Midland & Scottish Railway 4-6-0 No. 6115 46115 'Scots Guardsman'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-15 17:15:32.307|
Having worked its final railtour yesterday over the Settle and Carlisle Railway No. 46115 "Scots Guardsman" has now been withdrawn from service to under go a heavy overhaul and rebuild at Carnforth depot.
|Southern Railway 0-6-0T No. 30072||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-15 14:30:59.163|
The USA Tank No. 30072 is now in the workshops at the Ribble Steam Railway being overhauled in time hopefully for the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in 2018. 30072 left the Worth Valley Railway in 2015 as it was sold to Andy Booth and is now based at the Ribble Steam Railway in Lancashire.
|British Sugar Corporation 0-6-0ST No. 'Wissington'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-15 05:50:12.903|
"Wissington" will be making a visit to the Mid Norfolk Railway for there "Ales by Rails" event over the August bank holiday from the 25th to the 28th. Where the loco will on shuttle workings to Hoe.
|Deutsche Shell AG 0-4-0F No. 1||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-15 03:29:49.873|
Privately owned, dismantled on the premises of Robert Krebs KG. Last reported in 2006
|DB 2-10-0 No. 52.8165 (52.5250)||Posted by: Doug Bailey on 2017-08-15 03:22:08.073|
This locomotive had been displayed for many years at a nursing home in Hamburg-Farmsen, Germany. It was moved in 2016 to a machine shop in Hattorf, where it is dismantled.
|London Midland & Scottish Railway 4-6-0 No. 4767 44767 'George Stephenson'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-14 17:25:23.463|
Overhaul work to the unique Stephenson link-motion fitted LMS Back 5 44767 "George Stephenson" has restarted. As there is a lot of work being done which includes the fitting of new cylinders a new tender dragbox and a new tender tank. When completed 44767 will be based at the North Norfolk Railway for use there and for mainline running on Network Rail.
|Liverpool & Manchester Railway 0-2-2 No. 'Rocket'||Posted by: Russell Newman on 2017-08-14 17:15:11.267|
Stepthson s original "Rocket" is returning to its birthplace on Tyneside as its being loaned to the Tyne & Wear Archives and Museums to be on display for the Great Exhibition of the North taking place from the 22nd of June till the end of September in 2018.
|Unknown 0-6-0T No. 835.327||Posted by: Dale W Fickés on 2017-08-14 15:47:26.993|
Preserved by the ATSP (Associazione Treni Storici Puglia)and photographed inside the FS depot in Taranto, Italy on 26 November 2011. The locomotive was, apparently, sited at a Military establishment in Lecce.
|FC 2-6-0cog No. 506||Posted by: Dale W Fickés on 2017-08-14 01:49:15.44|
An excellent photograph of 2-6-2Cog FCL No. 506 (CEMSA, 970 of 1932) preserved and displayed near the Holiday Inn, Cosenza, Italy shows the actual wheel arrangement(rather than 2-6-0) and appears on http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/italy12.htm. Also note the construction number.
|Mile End Light Railway 0-4-2 No. 1 "JULIET"||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-13 16:24:13.437|
Bought by the Mile End Railway museum in 1966. Worked up 1983 hauling passenger trains on museums 18 inch track. Now displayed at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.
The Mile End Railway museum started 1964 on the site of a railway roundhouse. Opened to the public in 1970 with most of the collection displayed outdoors. It was normally open only 2 Sundays a week. A very popular museum, with their 18 inch railway. Closed in January 1988 and moved to Port Adelaide. The whole area has changed with the new standard gauge railway station opening in 1984.
|Mile End Light Railway 0-4-2T No. 'Bub'||Posted by: Robin R Beck on 2017-08-13 16:17:30.433|
A locomotive which took over ten years to build by the Mile End Museum. Finished in 1987, just as the museum was about to move to Port Adelaide. Bub normally operates the Sunday passenger train running around the 18 inch oval track which circles the whole museum site. The Mile End Railway Museum volunteers built first a diesel loco and then Bub for their 18 inch track.